it’s official! spring is in the air and every style blog is talking about pastels and florals. over here we’re taking a more practical approach this time around… let’s talk spring cleaning, or as i call it: spring streamlining!
yes, you should do a good deep clean of your space but often times we forget that simple streamlining of our processes will not only make life easier but less stressful and more productive.
clean out your computer: many of us spend a HUGE chunk of our lives on our laptops and with that comes a slew of organizational issues. take a few hours and make your computer a delightful place to be by:
- cleaning up your desktop (do you really need 40 random screenshots laying around? title and index ’em in folders)
- organizing your photos by month/year etc.
- sorting your bookmarks and deleting old ones (i use folders for my bookmarks titled by category i.e blogs, ideas, tutorials, recipes etc.)
- freshening up your desktop image with something beautiful to look at
- don’t forget about that music library – clean up the titles and add album covers… and delete that random ‘beenie man’ single for god sake
consolidate bill payments: are you paying some bills online, and others by different methods? still receiving paper bills that just add to the chaos at home? set up online billing via your banking website and make it easy to click those bills away. add due dates for credit cards and other payments to your calendar on a reoccurring schedule so you don’t have another thing to remember.
purge products: i just went through my bathroom and sorted out all of my skincare, haircare and makeup. that meant tossing some items that were almost empty and giving away products i didn’t like or use. it literally took me an hour; i felt so much lighter and it’s easier to find the products i use on a regular basis.
sync calendars and contacts: using software to sync up office, personal and social calendars is the easiest way to stay organized. apple introduced icloud and it seamlessly organizes your calendars, contacts, music and photos on all of your devices. once you get it set up correctly, it’s a time/life-saver (if you are having trouble, stop by an apple store and they will set you up at no cost… or fix settings that are giving you a headache).
social media re-vamp: it’s almost impossible to keep up with social media these days. between pinterest, instagram, facebook, twitter and the dozens of blogs you’d like to read, you’re short-circuiting… well, i am.
- take a good look at who you are following on each and use the quality over quantity method.
- sorting twitter into lists helps you control whose updates you read when.
- annoyed by someone posting copious amounts of info on facebook? hide them from showing up your news feed.
- using a platform like hootsuite can help you manage twitter and facebook while bloglovin’ is a great blog reading platform. i explain what it is and how to use it here.
photo credit: pinterest
p.s: if you think your girlfriends could use a lil’ help in this department, share this post using the social buttons below!